IMM

"Tim S" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:26:56 +0000, IMM wrote:

The Boilermate is an "integrated" store, that is the CH and DHW are run
off the store.
The Sytemate has the CH run direst from the boioer with the store being
DHW only.

Thanks IMM - I see now.

All the controls/pumps etc in inside the neat casing in both. The

control
systems are superb in both. The are not direct. I have a Systemate.
They are best available and state-of-the-art. They are self adaptive in
that they learn the boilers behaviour. They modulate the DHW pump speed
to suit the outlet temperature. A pump is on the mains water circuit,
well it is on the primary circuit, to pump heat into the plate heat
exchanger. They are also very reliable too.

They look like they are the best designed. I like the way that most of the
main pipes and pumps are presented at the front in an orderly way. Bit
worried about the clever microcontroller. But I suppose, in an emergency,
if it went pop, a little judicious bypassing with some wire would be
possible...

But, they do seem to have thought of everything - like pump overrun and
things. I had the fitter's guide off their website and it was
comprehensive to say the least.

Gledhill invented the modern version of the thermal store with a British Gas
collaboration in the 1980s. They are ahead of everyone else in most
respects.

Also look at http://www.rangecylinders.co.uk/prod...max/index.html
The Flowmax, which is a a well priced heat bank.

Ah - that must be what Grunff has - bit difficult searching for "range
cylinders" on google :/

Best have a direct "integrated" heat bank.

Heatweb - Also looks complicated like the Gledhill, but not as neat.

Albion - simple again, like the McDonalds'.

But expensive.

So far, I've seen two price lists. The Gledhill is pretty pricey, but
still worth it, for all the benefits I get (not least having a useable
5x6 ft bit of space back). However, I've seen one of the others (McDonald?
at around the £500-700 bracket depending on size. But after I'm finished
buying pumps, controllers, random bits and bobs I'm tempted by the more
expensive but nicely integrated solution.

Gledhill are the only company that will have a nice square box with very
heavy insulation and all the controls inside the box. Their Accolade
unvented cylinder is presented the same way. All the other makes look like
school boiler rooms. The Potterton Powermax is all in one box, boiler and
cylinder.

With a Gledhill everything is inside the box and this meas only a simple
boiler may be used outside, such as a Worcester Bosch Greenstar heating
boiler. Very simple and basic condensing boiler. A great advantage of heat
banks/thermal stores.