Set Square

don wrote:

I currently have a Potterton 16/22 boiler driving the central heating
via a pumped circuit, and the hot water cylinder via convection.

I'm looking to move the hot water cylinder from its current location
directly above the boiler (in the bathroom) into the loft. This will
involve a much longer pipe run with a number of kinks, so I'm guessing
I need to convert the system to be fully pumped?

I have basic plumping skills

Kinky g

that have amounted to moving the odd
radiator and fitted a new bathroom. The theory of what needs to happen
sounds fairly straight forward, but is this a job I should be tackling
myself, or should I leave it to the experts?

Does anybody have any references/links to information on the details
of what is involved?

Thanks,

don

Does your loft have lots of headroom? Assuming that you're not going for a
mains pressure hot water system, you'll need to get your cold header tank
*above* the level of the hot cylinder. This will need supporting *very*
well - water is heavy stuff!

If you're going fully pumped with a single pump, you'll need both HW and CH
to share a common flow pipe until after the pump - where the circuits then
split using zone valves (S-Plan) or a 3-port mid-position valve (Y-Plan).
[See http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm] If you currently
have separate circuits (4 pipes into the boiler) this will need changing.

If your boiler can stand it, you might consider converting to a non-vented
(sealed) primary circuit - using a pressure vessel and filling loop, and
getting rid of your small F&E tank.
--
Cheers,
Set Square