Bob Peterson

You cannot connect the neutral to earth except at the service point. Most
often this is done either by using the neutral bar as the earth connection
point and as a combined ground bar/neutral bar, or in newer panels via a
bonding jumper between the equipment ground bus and the neutral bus in the
service panel.

You can have as many ground rods as you want interconnected with each other
either directly or through an equipment grounding conductor.

I don't think the phrase "secondary ground" has any defined meaning in the
NEC.

A subpanel (another term that I don't recall being defined in the NEC) could
have its own ground rod but may or may not have a connection from the ground
rod to neutral at that panel. Most often in most residential settings it
would not have that connection.

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
Don't know much about this but it seems like I remember that the code most
places prohibits more than one ground. Aren't you required to have a
ground for the main service or panel and no secondary ground at any sub
panel?

bob g.

Bob Peterson wrote:

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...

While wiring my shop, I noticed something very disturbing. My house
is not grounded. I open my main panel and there are the two hots and
one neutral.

Ground bus and neutral bus are connected and both ground and neutral
wires share the same bus.

This is usually the case with service panels.

My house is newer, only about 8 years old.

Why is there no ground? I know when I did the same work in FL I was
required to put in two ground rods.

Is this a concern or normal?

There is probably a green wire snaking out to your grounding electrode,
usually a rod driven in the ground. It could also be connected to
various substitutes for a ground rod that are allowed as well.