Trent©

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:10:33 GMT, Leuf
wrote:

I've recently been offered my first chance to do a commisioned piece,
up until now I've only done woodworking as gifts for family and
friends. She is a friend of my sister's that saw the jewelry box I
did for her last year and she wants one to give as a gift. I gave a
tentative yes and said we could talk about the design over the next
couple of weeks while I finish up my current projects.

The thing is she doesn't seem to have any idea what she wants.

Sure she does. She has a VAGUE idea. She wants something like the
one you did for your sister. Use that as a starting point.

With
family/friends it's easy enough to come up with ideas for what they
would like. I know them. I've been in their homes. I've seen their
stuff. And I don't have to go through a process of communicating with
them, I just make it and they either like it or not. Here I am twice
removed from the person who is actually going to get the piece, which
I find a little disconcerting. I'm lacking enough input to get the
creative juices flowing. All I've gotten is "she loves work made by
New England artisans." Right, could you vague that up for me a
little?

Which artisans? Where did she find the things that she 'likes'? Just
like you've done with your family over the years, you need to find out
more about her likes and dislikes...her decor...etc.

It's also more difficult because she is on the other side of the
country and our primary communication is by email.

Call her.

I do not have a
large volume of work that I can show her, I've only done the one
jewelry box, and only recently have I had a digital camera with which
to take pictures. I suggested to her to have a look online to try to
find something she likes, and suggested one site that I had looked at
when I made the first one. That was over a week ago and she hasn't
gotten back to me yet.

Bad idea...IMHO. And it doesn't sound like its working, either.

YOU pick something...YOU push...YOU design...YOU set deadlines, etc.
She obviously doesn't wanna be bothered. Most customers don't.

I'm just guessing here...but I don't think whatever you make for her
will be as important as the fact that she had it ESPECIALLY made by
you for whomever she gives it to. It'll be a SPECIAL gift...made
especially for her friend...as opposed to something she could simply
have bought over the shelf.

If she already has the recipient in mind, suggest that you sign it to
include the recipient's name.

I am not really sure what are the right questions to ask to get at
what they want. I tried to just keep it general for starters so as
not to bog her down with functional details, but maybe I should be
doing it the opposite way?

You need to take the initiative, Leuf. She is definitely more inept
at this than you are. She's looking to you for direction. DON'T ask
her to make too many choices. YOU put the project together...the
ENTIRE project...and then get her final approval.

I wouldn't worry about getting any money up front, if I were you.
Just build it...and let her know approximately what it will cost. If
you get stiffed for the materials, it shouldn't be the end of the
world for you.

And this whole thing will be a great experience for you...especially
if you plan on future endeavors like this.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

P.S. If things go well, get some business cards made. Later, ask her
if you can use her as a reference.

Have a nice one...

Trent