Paul in MN

"Chad Bender" wrote in message
news
I've just about finished my first project in Cherry, a Stickly nightstand,
and need to determine how I will finish it. The large pieces are not yet
assembled, so that should make finishing easier. I definately don't want
to stain the cherry, and instead prefer to let it age naturally. What
finish do you recommend that is simple, unobtrusive, and that won't
interfere with the natural color change process. I've used clear shellac
on other (non-cherry) pieces before, but don't know how that would look in
this situation. Whatever suggestions I get, I'll end up making a test
board first. I'm just looking for a place to start.

The finish should be simple, because based on my past experience I have a
tendency to spend far far to long on finishing out of some crazy desire to
have things perfect.

Thanks
Chad

I have used Watco clear oil on a couple of cherry stands. It looks quite
nice and leaves the cherry looking like cherry. After all this is why i
chose to use it in the first place. After a couple of applications and wipe
downs, I put a coat of Watco satin wax on. They do however get "thirsty"
every now and then so I re-oil them and apply another coat of wax.

Paul