George

As easy as 1,2,3.

1) The way to low stress turning is to cut the wood as it wishes to be cut.
When you do that, the chips fall where they are released from the piece,
they do not fly. If not so, make it so.

2) Energy does equal Mass times velocity squared, so turn at slow speeds,
making less energy available to stress the recess in the event of a catch.
You need only the energy required to sever the fibers, and have instant
feedback from the shavings, which should present a clean edge as they are
released - long side smooth.

3) Remember that the recess is just a means for wedging the face of the jaws
snugly into the bottom of the piece. You need snug, not tight. Tight is
the same as forcing a round peg into a round hole - it splits wood. That's
why nails are clipped, pegs are rough whittled, or square.

Some available techniques at
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/index.html

"Tony Manella" ndd1 at prolog.net wrote in message
Hi Steve,
When I have a failure in expansion mode it is usually the wood that breaks
out rather than anything with the chuck. Must just be my style of

turning.