George

Sure, sapwood has more moisture, and that's what encourages mildew. It's a
strange organism that can survive on what the air brings it, so I'm not sure
sugars make a difference. Note it's growing under and on wax. Sure makes
a mess of light woods.

Bark on is the way to keep the radial checks at bay. End checks are pretty
much self-limiting, so a lot of folks leave a whole log, lopping off a fresh
chunk to turn when they have time, versus taking chances on a bunch of
blocks.

Then there are those stupid enough to split firewood without looking, who
end up with badly fragmented pieces of heavily curled maple rather than big
beautiful bowl and platter pieces.

They are a step up from the ornaments I've been turning, though....

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
George wrote:
My server finally updated abpw. Looks like you have a fine "art" piece
there. If the stuff's going to be squirrelly, make a virtue of it by
cutting thin while green and letting it go.

As to the end coating, it looks like you took the bark off, which is a

no-no
if you're trying to keep the log.

Only took the bark off to cut the circle for a bowl. Saved one end for
the piece you see. The Outer portion did not crack. It is also the part
which mildews easily. Higher sugar content? Lower tannin content?

The bowl continues to deform, looking more and more like a potato chip.
My wife likes it, but I have given up on leveling the bottom until it
completely dries.