barry martin

Default Drill help

Sue:

CS I am trying to drill a hole in kitchen counter material (laminate). I
CS have an old cordless drill that my father gave me. It did not work
CS for this task; I tried different drill bits (I want to use the
CS largest) and they stopped turning after a couple of turns into the
CS wood beneath the laminate. I didn't continue because I didn't want to
CS burn out the motor. I thought maybe the batteries weren't charging
CS enough to give sufficient power, so I bought a corded drill. The same
CS thing happens!

The problem is probably as someone else suggested: the bit is getting
caught on a burr. I've had similar problems drilling a large hole
through hard wood with a cordless drill; don't recall if it happened
with a corded one or not but you have so doesn't matter if I had the
problem or not!

Was the corded drill one with variable speed? It's possible to bog
down the drill at lower speeds.

A couple of things you could try:

- Use a smaller bit to drill a pilot hole and then try drilling
with the desired size. (If you want a «" hole use the ¬" bit
for the pilot hole.)

- If you were able to drill partway through try drilling up from
the bottom. (If the hole is going to show might not be a good
idea: the top edge may flake causing an irregular edge.

-- Try putting the drill in reverse to smooth out the burr. The
bit will bounce quite a bit.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Definition:
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *