Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

(rotation slim) writes:
Ignore the beat-down by self righteous contractors-- here is how I got
the deal--FWIW.

I was replacing my roof, and called the local roofing supply company
to get a price--- I described what I wanted using general terms, they
gave me a price. I wrote down the price and model number and other
descriptions. Later, I decided to get the supplies from another
location, same company. I called them to confirm I would get the same
price, but instead of sounding like a dolt-do-it-yourselfer,
describing in general terms what I wanted, I just said (somethign
like) "I need 14 square of GAF shingles... " and went on to refer to
it using item number, etc. I found the price quoted was about 20%
less. I thought about it for a while, and figured out that they had
given me what I presume was a contractors discount, just because I
sounded like one. The next time I needed some stuff I tried the same
thing, getting the insiders model numbers from one location, then
going into another location, in my work clothes, and asking for stuff
by model number, etc.. and I got a better price. Go figure, not sure
if it works anywhere else, but for this particular store it appeared
to be an informal system, and if you looked and sounded like a
contractor you got a better price... give it your best shot.

I have been doing a very similar thing by using the Internet as my
pricing guide to make sure pricing is ballpark correct.

Save your flames, if they guy didn't ask if I was a contractor, and
just assumed I was, that is on him, not me. I am not going to correct
him and ask him to raise the prices. Also, if the business relies on
this informal method of setting prices, TOUGH!

Agreed. This sense of contractor entitlement is ridiculous. People
like Turtle object even if I get a discount on a job that I plan on
doing myself anyway where the discount I get doesn't take away any of
his profit!