Rich

If you have extension springs they are over sprung (they are too strong for
your door). Secure the door in the open position, take the tension off the
springs and with some help lower the door onto a bathroom scale to get the
correct weight measurement.
If you have torsion springs then they are too long for your door. Get the
inside diameter (usually stamped on one of the cones), wire size (length of
ten coils will do) and the correct weight of the door and email it to me, I
will email you back the correct length springs you should have for your
door.
Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com/contact.shtml
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
I'm preparing to install a new garage door opener on a 2-car garage
with roll-up metal door. I'm concerned that the door may not be
properly balanced, and that may have led my old opener to wear out (it
was a 14-year-old Stanley, so it may have just been old age too).

The new opener instructions states that if I open the door 3 to 4
feet, it should stay open. My door will stay open if I open it about
3 1/2 feet, so it meets that criteria. But when the door is fully
closed, I have to pull pretty hard to get it to start to open, and it
only starts to get easier when I've raised it a couple of feet. I put
my bathroom scale under the door, and I weigh 35 pounds on one end, 42
pounds in the middle, and 44 pounds on the other end.

does this seem normal?
thanks,
paul