Doug Neumann

Default I think I need to splice 220V...

Hi,

I'm in the process of replacing a gas stove with an electric oven and
separate cooktop which has me playing with 220V current and I've got a
couple questions... I've got a 220V circuit that was run when the house was
built but never hooked up since we were using gas. I'd like to use this for
the oven, but it's not quite long enough. I'm hoping somebody can help me
answer the following:

1. Can I splice the existing 220 line to another 10 feet of cable to make
it reach?
2. Do I need a special junction box for this or can I use the same ones I
use with 110?
3. The wires are quite large. I can't imagine I'd be able to twist them
with the wires from another cable and put on a wire nut like I've done with
110 in the past. How do I join them together? A butt splice?
4. The oven manual explicitly states to attach it to copper wire. It
appears, though, that the existing wire is aluminum. Do I need to replace
the entire wire? Can I splice in copper and be fine?

Thanks,
-Doug