TURTLE

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
TURTLE wrote:

-- Nothing worth quoting --

about John Kerry's 2 marriages:

1) to Julia Thorne, sister of Kerry's longtime friend and advisor, David
Thorne, from 1970 to 1988 (separated in 1982)

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Julia-Thorne

2) to Teresa Heinz-Kerry from 1995 to present

http://marriage.about.com/od/celebri.../johnkerry.htm

BTW, here's the worst that the right wingnut rag (NewsMax.com) could dig
up:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...4/133600.shtml

Thursday, March 4, 2004

KERRY'S EX-WIFE ENDORSES KERRY

It's not often that after a powerful political couple break up, the
ex-spouse turns around and endorses her ex-husband.

But Sen. John Kerry's first wife, Philadelphia heiress Julia Thorne, has
done that.

She says Kerry is a good man and deserves public support.

But her own revelations about her marriage to the Boston aristocrat show
how tragic marriage can be in the political spotlight, and how his
unbridled ambition might have contributed to the breakup.

In her 1996 book, "Change of Heart," Thorne said that playing the role
of wife to the rising political star had made her so depressed she
wanted to kill herself.

Without ever mentioning Kerry by name, she complained: "Politics became
my husband's life. During the years of our marriage, he was appointed
and elected to several political offices. Eventually he was elected to
the U.S. Senate."

Thorne said that it wasn't long before she felt neglected. "The day our
first child was born, my husband started law school thirty-five miles
away. Stuck studying in the library until the early morning hours, he
often did not come home.

"I was alone and overwhelmed," she remembers, "abandoned with a new baby
in a town that held political disdain for us. ... I tried to be happy
for him, but after fourteen years as a political wife, I associated
politics only with anger, fear and loneliness."

'Vacuum of Misunderstanding'

As Kerry continued to focus on his career and political future, his
wife's mental state deteriorated to the point of suicidal depression. In
her 1993 book, "You Are Not Alone," Thorne chronicles with chilling
vividness her decision to try to kill herself.

"February 1980, five months after my 36th birthday, my mind ravaged by
corroding voices, my body defeated by bone rattling panics, I sat on the
edge of my bed minutes from taking my own life.

"For weeks I had silently prepared my death. I believed I was a failure.
I could no longer pretend I was of use to my husband or my children. ...
I was emotionally, spiritually, and physically exhausted by a life
destroying affliction - depression ... I was also alone - dying a lonely
death in a vacuum of misunderstanding, ignorance and shame."

Two years after her brush with suicide, Thorne said she asked Kerry for
a separation. "Six years and one reconciliation would pass before we
actually divorced," she wrote.

She has said little about the marriage since writing her two books,
beyond telling reporters that her ex-husband was a good man and that she
supported his bid for the White House.

Despite her continuing political support, however, she and Kerry have
clashed over their children at least twice in the intervening years.

In 1995, the Boston Globe reported:

"Seven weeks before Sen. John F. Kerry married wealthy heiress Teresa
Heinz last month, his ex-wife, Julia Thorne, filed suit seeking an
increase in support payments, asserting that the senator's income and
resources 'have substantially increased' since she previously sought an
increase in 1991."

Thorne insisted that the timing of the suit was purely coincidental and
had nothing to do with her ex-husband's remarriage.

But in 1997, when Sen. Kerry sought to have the marriage that had
produced their two daughters annulled, Thorne was furious at being asked
to acquiesce.

In an interview with the Boston Globe she said the request "was
disrespectful to me ... and devoid of any sense of the humanity of what
this means to me and the children."

"I cannot look my children in the eyes or stand before them with
integrity and know in my heart that I have contributed in any way to a
process that invalidates and nullified the union from which they were
created," Thorne raged.

Still, the spurned ex-wife decided not to contest the annulment.

In a statement released to the press, Kerry declined to comment on his
request for annulment, except to say that he "very much understands
Julia's feelings and appreciates her support."

Thorne has since remarried and lives quietly in Montana.

This is Turtle.

WOW it took you all that band wide to say what i say in three line and you call
it waistful data.

TURTLE