patriarch

Chad Bender wrote in
news
I've just about finished my first project in Cherry, a Stickly
nightstand, and need to determine how I will finish it. The large
pieces are not yet assembled, so that should make finishing easier. I
definately don't want to stain the cherry, and instead prefer to let
it age naturally. What finish do you recommend that is simple,
unobtrusive, and that won't interfere with the natural color change
process. I've used clear shellac on other (non-cherry) pieces before,
but don't know how that would look in this situation. Whatever
suggestions I get, I'll end up making a test board first. I'm just
looking for a place to start.

The finish should be simple, because based on my past experience I
have a tendency to spend far far to long on finishing out of some
crazy desire to have things perfect.

Any of the varieties of Tried and True oils make excellent choices for
cherry, providing you DON'T want a film finish.

Rubbed out shellac (with wax) on cherry is beautiful, and should provide
for sufficient protection for a nightstand.

And there my experience with finishing cherry ends...

Patriarch