Ray Sandusky

Arch

I tend to think of the Art/Craft battle in terms of how the person who is
performing the turning looks at what he does.

If one goes out to his shop and is taking a set of plans or the latest
project from "Woodturning Design" (no offense) with him/her and is having to
stop and check every measurement and every thickness and consult the warning
labels of the tools and finishes before using them and is always worried
about having a terrible catch, then that person is taking the craft approach
to woodturning.

If one goes out to his studio with an idea of something he/she wants to
make, but thinks that the process from getting from the lump of wood to the
final piece of work is not as important as the joy they felt in making the
shavings and arriving at the finished product with out someone elses input -
then that is the approach of an artist.

Whether the finished piece is art or crap that is the question that is
answered at the point of sale.

And that is all I have to say about that!

Ray