BobS

Leuf,

I believe you have answered your own question - you just weren't listening
when you said it....

I doubt she will be able to give you any definite direction on design except
to maybe suggest that it be a box (like a letter box), a small chest
(silverware, keepsake) or perhaps something like a small writing desk that
you use when resting in bed etc. I think Norm did a replica of the writing
desk a couple of years back and it should be available on the New Yankee web
site. I believe JT also posted a url for one that this year which can be
found using a Google search.

The big clue is "She loves work made by New England artisans." That being
said, be sure you sign the piece and perhaps include a small card that
describes the type of wood used and where it was made - that is what she's
looking for too. How many times have you been in a crafts shop or at a fair
and everyone picks up the item, flips it over and reads the makers mark and
where it was made.

For New England inspiration - well, there's about zillion craft shops in
that area but you could also checkout www.LLBean.com for the New England
look. They have a gift section that may have an item or two or a design idea
you could implement. If you do inlay work, pick a scene that depicts a
recognized icon - such as a fishing boat, lobster, etc... A search on "New
England crafts" should fill a screen or two...

I've seen coffee and end tables fashioned after lobster traps, wooden net
floats made into lamps, pictures - made out of wood slats from old lobster
traps, flotsam of all sorts made into art objects with a bit of imagination.
And if all else fails - build a small version of a lobster trap, place a
glass float in it nested in some wadded up well-used netting...

I think anything you make that hints that it's from the northeast will make
a big hit. Besides, what do those folks on the left coast know anyway....;-)

Bob S.

"Leuf" wrote in message
I've recently been offered my first chance to do a commisioned piece,
up until now I've only done woodworking as gifts for family and
friends. She is a friend of my sister's that saw the jewelry box I
did for her last year and she wants one to give as a gift. I gave a
tentative yes and said we could talk about the design over the next
couple of weeks while I finish up my current projects.

The thing is she doesn't seem to have any idea what she wants. With
family/friends it's easy enough to come up with ideas for what they
would like. I know them. I've been in their homes. I've seen their
stuff. And I don't have to go through a process of communicating with
them, I just make it and they either like it or not. Here I am twice
removed from the person who is actually going to get the piece, which
I find a little disconcerting. I'm lacking enough input to get the
creative juices flowing. All I've gotten is "she loves work made by
New England artisans." Right, could you vague that up for me a
little?

It's also more difficult because she is on the other side of the
country and our primary communication is by email. I do not have a
large volume of work that I can show her, I've only done the one
jewelry box, and only recently have I had a digital camera with which
to take pictures. I suggested to her to have a look online to try to
find something she likes, and suggested one site that I had looked at
when I made the first one. That was over a week ago and she hasn't
gotten back to me yet.

I am not really sure what are the right questions to ask to get at
what they want. I tried to just keep it general for starters so as
not to bog her down with functional details, but maybe I should be
doing it the opposite way?

-Leuf