Velvet

Default Feeble woman about central heating

Set Square wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

And also - many TRVs come with a plain plastic cap that you can
replace the TRV with. If you can find one (plumbers merchant may be
able to do you one if you have none knocking about) yo can take the
TRV head off and replace with the cap and then use that like a manual
valve - the more you screw it down the cooler the radiator will get -
screw it tight down and the rediator is turned off altogether.

Also, each radiator will hopefully have a lockshield valve at the opposite
end to the TRV. As a short term measure, you could partially close the
lockshield (it will require a small spanner or pair of pliers to turn the
shaft) to restrict the flow through the radiator which is currently too hot.

But count how many turns (write them down as you do it if you have a
memory like mine, too) you close it off by. That way you will be able
to open it by the same number once you have the TRV sorted, and restore
the radiator to proper working, without the need to try to rebalance the
whole system.

Of course, I could be talking total nonsense here, and it might be that
TRV systems have their lockshields fully open. I don't have TRV's but I
know having them and fully open lockshields wouldn't work in my house -
it would lead to the far end of the house (which is also the colder end)
taking a lot longer to heat up than the near end (which is usually the
warmer end).

Velvet

Velvet