Ba r r y

On 01 Nov 2004 00:53:00 GMT, (Dimit94844) wrote:

hi,

I have 3 boards that are 1x4 maple to edge glue together into one table top
board. Does each board get hand planed flat first or do I hand plane the boards
after the the completed glue-up is done?

No.

What is the proper procedure to follow
for edge joining several boards together?

Lay the boards together to find the combination most pleasing to your
eye. Mark the fronts, so you remember which order they go together.
We'll call them numbers 1, 2 and 3, going forward.

Next, clamp the first two boards in a vise, with the back of #1
against the back of #2. Plane the edges straight, and as square as
you can. You are planing BOTH edges at once. Next, clamp #2 and #3
in the vise, with the back of #2 against the back of #3. Plane both
edges straight and square. Planing the boards together, back to
back, will allow any departures from 90 degrees to cancel when the
boards are assembled.

Glue them up. After the glue dries, square the part, finish the
edges, and flatten the face.

Hope this helps,
Barry