The Natural Philosopher

Simon Hawthorne wrote:

Hi all

I have searched the group via google for info on logt insulation - but
can't really find an answer that fits my question.... so here goes.

Got an old house. Almost zero insulation in the loft. Planning a
loft conversion in a couple of years when the barn conversion is
complete (another story).

Anyway, just measured the rafters in the loft and the dims a

2.5" wide
3" tall
Space between rafters averages at approx 15.5" (some 14, some 16)

I need to put some insulation up there - but don't want to waste money
by putting something down only to find it unsuitable when we come to
convert.

What should I use? Kingspan/celotex? Can I cut it to fit the varying
widths I'd need? If this is the best solution, how do you fit it?

Can I also ask about the loft conversion - woudl the rafters as they
are support another couple of rooms - or would the whole rafter thing
need upgrading (by an expert!)

Thanks in advance

Simon

You can either insulate the ceiling joists, in which case we need to
know the dimensions of them, or you can turn your 'cold roof' into a
'warnm roof. which is more than just laying down some insulation stuck
between the rafters.

Not sure what you are really after here.

I'd be invlined to jstslap don thick rockwool for now, and sort out a
warm roof as and when you do the conversion, at which time the old
insulation will get binned anyway.