Andy Dingley

Default Glass and Wood suppliers

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:17:00 +0100, "Doki"
wrote:

I'm thinking of knocking together some sort of stand for my hifi gear, with
some sort of wooden frame and glass shelves (presumably tempered?). Do glass
suppliers just supply cut glass, or can they put on ground edges?

Getting tempered glass custom cut is expensive. Much cheaper to take a
tape measure into Ikea and buy something readymade about the right
size. Equally for mirrors, if you want them ground-edged.

Most glaziers don't cut glass these days anyway. It takes a fair bit
of ringing around to find one, so don't give up after the first.

I'd also be interested in what wood would be suitable (needs to be fairly
solid, look OK and cheapish),

MDF. Easy to work, good density for hi-fi supports. Easy to paint if
you use MDF primer first. Screwfix's cheap biscuit jointer is a good
and quick way to assemble a complex box.