Greg O

"mgg" wrote in message
. com...
I'm going to assume that this is T&G flooring, and that you are laying
baseboard (or at least base shoe) over the top of that first row? If

that's
the case, the 18g nail is plenty adequate. It's mainly done to prevent
lateral movement and hold the first row on your straight line, so the
following rows stay even. The up/down movement where one might think 18g

is
too small is mitigated by placing the baseboard (or shoe) on top.If it's

not
T&G I guess you'd be face nailing everything, and I'd use at least 14g.

--Mike

No way an 18 gauge nail will hold for this application. I have a 18 gauge
nailer, and they are just about useless! No holding power at all. It is fine
for pining on some small trim boards or holding small pieces of wood
togather while glue drys, but that is about all. I sometimes use it in glue
ups to keep pieces lined up.
I would question if a 15 or 16 gauge nailer would do in his application. I
would predrill holes and use some real 1-1/2 finish nails.
Greg