Jim Behning

I used real nails which I predrilled the holes first. I think the real
nails are thicker which I felt meant stronger. Pounding the next few
strips against flimsy nails did not sound like a formula for success.

(ksanny) wrote:

Hi,

I'm starting to lay down 3/8 inch engineered hardwood (3 inch wide
plank) onto a 1 inch underlayment. Instructions say to face nail the
first row of wood. Asking around, I'm told I should use 1 1/2 inch
nails to face nail the first few rows of wood.

As I shop around for a finish nailer or a brad nailer, I see gauges of
16 and 18. What gauge should I use for the face nailing? Will an 1
1/2 inch 18 gauge nail be strong enough for my purpose?

Any help would be much appreciated.