Edwin Pawlowski

"ksanny" wrote in message

I'm starting to lay down 3/8 inch engineered hardwood (3 inch wide
plank) onto a 1 inch underlayment. Instructions say to face nail the
first row of wood. Asking around, I'm told I should use 1 1/2 inch
nails to face nail the first few rows of wood.

As I shop around for a finish nailer or a brad nailer, I see gauges of
16 and 18. What gauge should I use for the face nailing? Will an 1
1/2 inch 18 gauge nail be strong enough for my purpose?

Any help would be much appreciated.

The 18 gauge brads have very little holding power. They are meant for
tacking light trim or holding two pieces while the glue dries.

Get a 15 ga. or 16 ga. finish nailer. You can also use it to put the
baseboards back when you are done with the floor. You did take them off
didn't you?
Ed