Michael Baugh

A lot of those bricks are fragile, and the mortar needs
to be the weak link, so that cracks will appear in the mortar
line rather than the bricks. So you need to be dealing with
a high lime content mortar, I'll bet.
I suggest learning a lot more about how and why it was done
before doing or having anything done. Here's a start.
http://vanity.qwestdex.com/nwmasonryrest/Page5.html
http://www.sacredplaces.org/PSP-Info...ointing%20Maso
nry.htm

http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/briefs/brief02.htm
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/pbriefs/pb02.htm

Joseph Meehan wrote in message
Redlocks wrote:
I live in a 107 year old brick townhouse. Recently after removing some

old
drywall, I noticed that the mortar in the basement walls is very sandy.

In
some areas it is damp and in others it deteriorates like dust.

What may have caused this problem? What should I used to repoint the
bricks?

Thanks.

John

It is the nature of older mortars. I suggest that you may want to be
careful about what you use to point it as some modern hard mortars do not
get along well at all with older materials.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math