Mike at American Sycamore

Silvan wrote in message ...
Jeff Anderson wrote:

sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the help

Sorry about on-topic questions? Why?

That's what this place is here for, though lately you might thing this was
rec.its.another.election.year.sigh.sigh.sigh

I can't answer you. Burl? Sounds expensive. Wood swap meets? Never heard
of such a thing. We only have one hardwood supplier hereabouts, and they
don't stock much and charge too much for it. Router bits? I hate routers.
I only have one of the screamin' banshees, and I practically never use it.

Good questions though. Someone should be along eventually, I hope.

Dear Jeff:

I own 17 routers and the school has over 50. I love routers and love
the work that they can do. A router is just a way to accomplish your
task. In woodworking as in life there is no secrets....you normally
get what you pay for and there is no free lunch. Try and buy the best
you can afford. Using good quality tools is a blessing. Every now
and then you might get lucky and get a good deal on wood, but not
everyday. Try and establish yourself at your local wood dealer and
get to know them. Practise good lumber yard ettique when shopping.
This way your wood dealer will take good care of you too.

Usually the cost of wood is very low in comparision to your time. I
have seen work that was done with shody material and took the worker
40 hours to make, if they had spent just a little more money on
material, the project would have been nice. Good luck and happy
woodworking.

Mike from American Sycamore Woodworkers' Retreat