David Hearn

Default Argos Challenge SDS Drill

Before people start saying its a pile of pants (the Argos Challenge SDS
drill for £30) - I got it because I was completely knackered after doing the
best part of sinking a double socket box in a brick wall. Trying to drill
with a basic hammer drill and chisel out the bits of brick was a right pain,
taking ages and wearing my arm out! The hammer drill was pants and just
wasn't up to the job. I decided that spending £30 on a cheapo SDS drill to
get this job done was cost effective (especially as it included 2 basic
chisels) seeing as I had a number of jobs to do (including replastering) and
having a dead arm and wasted time would be more of a problem than £30 spent.

After using it I've noticed two features that it appears to lack. Firstly,
you cannot lock it on. This means having to constantly pull the trigger
whilst drilling/chiseling - a right pain. Secondly there doesn't appear to
be a rotation lock mechanism. Whist I can stop it rotating under power, I
can't seem to get it to stop rotating under vibration. Okay on a point
chisel but on the flat chisel it can be a problem as you want to keep the
flat piece in a certain place and angle..

All told though, I'm pleased with it - it made a good job of breaking up the
bricks though it does weight a ton.

It looks like the £50 Performance Power one from B&Q though I noticed their
one has a trigger lock - no idea about rotation lock.

Does anyone else have experience of the Challenge SDS Drill and whether
there's any way of stopping the bit rotating under vibration when its in
hammer only mode?

Thanks

David