Andy Dingley

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:42:44 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
wrote:

I am 13, and enjoy carpentry/woodworking.
I have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools.

Sounds like you're tooled up to work plywood pretty well. Working
solid timber will depend on what you can get hold of that's already
ripped down to manageable sizes. Don't be too rigid about ideas of
"plans" - keep your eyes out for materials you can get hold of cheap
or free, and have a bunch of ideas floating around in your head, where
you suddenly go for one because you scored the right thing to make it
out of.

Please can you give me some ideas of good projects.

Make something you _want_. Nothing worse than being forced to follow
some dorky plan for some stupid thing that would have been tacky back
in the '50s. Yes, you could make a "pipe rack" or a "firewood
carrier" -- but what do you do with it afterwards ?!

Bird houses / feeders are good, if you have somewhere to hang it.

Furniture for your room - Chairs are cool, but a lot of work. CD racks
are an easier start. Clocks can be a laugh too - you can get cheap
movements from somewhere like Ikea and build your own cases.

Anything that's a "box" works well with plywood and a jigsaw.

For bigger projects you can build a skateboard / BMX ramp, or even a
treehouse.

You should also start looking at design. Find a book like "The Design
Source Book" - a quick history of design through the 20th century.
Flick through that and look for stuff that catches your eye. Look up
the Bauhaus movement in '20s & '30s Germany - they had lots of cool
stuff that's not too hard to build.

--
Smert' spamionam