Hiya

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:22:23 -0500, (m Ransley)
wrote:

The Carrier thermostat that allows fan speed
control at the stat is cheaper on Carrier by 1-200$. And I beleive has
more features. Get the 10 yr warranty. The variable speed motors
although redesigned do fail.

Carrier does have better controls, I agree. I may go for extended
warranty, depends on price.

Also for the furnace, does yours keep up or is it underpowered, I down
graded from 110000 btu to 47000 btu, now I get a more even comfortable
heat, but I could have gone even lower. The Carrier is made to run more
of the time at low fan speed. Here it is a matter of comfort and heat
eveness.

Currently no furnace, heat strips only. Three guys did load calcs and
all came up with 70,000 BTU and three ton AC. One guy admitted he
thought it would be larger. It appears Carrier does not make a 70000
BTU furnace but I don't think 80000 is grossly oversized.

In the end it is the installer that counts. To small a
furnace it will strugle, to large it will have heat swings, uneven Being sure he is real good,
works with you and gets you the properly sized equipment.

Yeah, I eliminated a couple of guys right away. One was selling the
company and a "satisfaction guarantee" claiming I could get all of my
money back if not happy and comfortable. He could tell me almost
nothing about the equipment. He only sold "packages" at different
price points...$3.000, $5,000, $10,000. Dropped him like a hot rock.
Another sold Lennox but never looked at insulation, ductwork, sq.
foot or did a load calc. He admitted he took the size off exixting
equipment and used it. He had to go back to his office to "work up" a
proposal. He is mailing it. I think it will get lost in the mail.

Thanks for your input.