Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard Porter wrote:
I used to drive my parents' Mini like that. It was a '59 Austin Se7en
with the original 3-synchro magic wand box, not the later all-synchro
baulk ring type. I found it was easier if I pressed the dipswitch with my
left foot in order to get the timing right (not at night of course:-).

The early boxes were cone synchromesh but soon replaced with baulk ring.
The all synchro boxes were very much later.

I don't know why it took so long for BMC to introduce baulk ring synchro
to the A Series box - the B Series one had it in the early '50s.

The Mini probably made the problem worse - the extra inertia of the
transfer gears.

The synchromesh on those boxes didn't last long anyway, so I had to
double de-clutch on my driving test. That was nothing to do with me
driving clutchless of course (my mum had previously learnt to drive on
that car - say no more).

It's probably easier to change gear without the clutch with no or poor
synchro anyway - it tells you if the revs are wrong much sooner. ;-)

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.