Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

I almost got a thing going with a girl in the oboe section next door
though. Until my parents found out she was black and put an end to
that.

I'm a white guy, 100% Norwegian, 3+ generations in the US. I've been
married to a wonderful woman, white, for 22 years. I hope we're buried
together after a car accident in our 55th year of marriage.

But if she goes before I do, or walks out, or something, in all probability
my next "teddy bear" will be of a "race" other than mine. I've done a lot
of business travel in 25 years -- Europe, Central Asia, Central America,
etc., and the women who have tempted me the most to take off the wedding
ring have not been Caucasian.

My daughter, now a senior in high school, has attempted to shock me by
saying she may be interested in non-white men. I've told her that's fine
with me. After all, the genetic research has revealed that the
pigmentations in the skin are a trivial, ignorable factor. As far as I'm
concerned, my children can marry anyone of the oppostie sex. The color of
the skin does not matter whatever. Besides, if her dad (me) had not flunked
out of a full-ride ROTC scholarship he probably would have been married to a
woman of another race, and she would never have been born! ;-)

Your parents were shortsighted, but it probably wasn't so much their fault
as the era in which they were raised. My personal library contains many
books written prior to 1920. Everyone grew up in a culture, and the writers
of the early 1900's tended to have a "fixation" on the importance of the
"blood" of someone. We now know this isn't true, but they didn't know it
was true then.

politics
I personally have a hard time judging historical figures of another era by
our current knowledge. In most cases, I beleve they would act as I would if
they had access to the same information I have today. Thoughts?
/politics

even remotely want to play one, which is a good thing. Nobody beats
up a trumpet player for being gay. I still catch **** from people
as an adult for playing the flute.)

Sounds like you need a more mature and refined group of peers... ;-)

I definitely do, but I *am* a truck driver. It's not that surprising
when you think about it a minute, is it?

Silvan, you are not just a truck driver. You are a writer, an observer, a
thinker, a commentator. You may happen to currently derive the bulk of
your income by wrestling trucks on the tarmack, but that's not what you ARE.
The many messages you have posted in the newsgroup prove you are much more
than just someone who isn't confused by 12+ gears. Your writings of your
family are worthy of Frost or Wright or any # of other "serious" writers.
Doggoneit, I'm a Mensan, I've done very well in national HS contests, and my
writing still SUX compared to yours and others in the newgroups. You
percieve, you understand, you communicate! I know I'm very good at some
things, Thank You, but I also know you're better than me at communicating!
When I read your discriptions of your small shop, I understand. When I read
my discriptions of my small shop, a week after posting, I go, "Huh?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I did not watch too much TV growing up. (In western South Dakota we only
got 2 channels, + 1 PBS) But I do recall the one, single episode of
"Banachek" (?sp) I saw. Banachek (sp?) needed to talk to a truck driver,
and Banachek's (sp?) chauffer said, "Let me talk to him instead of you.
We're both 'Knights of the Road.' When Banachek and the chauffer approached
the trucker's apartment, they heard violin music faintly through the door.
They listened for a little, and Banachek knocked on the door. The truck
driver / violin player opened the door, and Banacheck said, 'Your playing of
______ (Mozart/?) ______ reminded me of (Isaac Stern / Pearlman / ______)
196x recording. Can I come in an talk?'

Banacheck's chauffer was flabbergasted. The truck driver wasn't another
"Knight of the Road" but someone who chose something that gave him enough
free time to persue his passion -- Music!

I think of you often, Silvan, when I read the newgroups or watch TV. IMO
you're not just a truck driver, but you're someone storing up expericence
and knowlege in huge silos, and will soon present your understandings in
ways that will enrich your readers and yourself.

Go for it!

-- Mark