The Natural Philosopher

Default Lghting Circuit Question

Christian McArdle wrote:

A lighting circuit is supposed to have a max of about 1200W or
12 x 100W bulbs. If you were to change all of the bulbs to the
low wattage(?) ones, eg 11W, would this mean you could have more
bulbs on the same circuit?

No. You must allow 100W per fitting so that the cretin that buys your house
doesn't take out the electrics when he decides he prefers that warm glow
(i.e. global warming). If the fittings are only capable of taking low energy
bulbs, then you may allow for the likely output of the fitting. (i.e. an 18W
fluorescent strip fitting could be assumed to draw 18W, not 100W because you
can't shoehorn a 100W GLS into it).

12 fittings is pretty excessive for a lighting circuit anyway. You should
divide into several circuits so that a fault on one doesn't take out all
your lights. Traditionally, one lighting circuit per floor is used. I prefer
a random pattern, so that in the event of a lighting fault, several lights
on each floor, and every other hallway still works. I think it is safer.

Yes, agreed.

Additional point, tiou alos need to guard aghainst the retrofitting of
e.g. 8 2x40W wall lights where a single central 150W bulb used to do the
same job :-)

An increase in ten of the current requirements.

I often wonder how Lawrence and Handy Andy manage all their fancy
lighting...

Christian.