Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In general, you try and prevent rain running down the wall in most
conditions. That's what guttering is for.

Driving rain is not uncommon.

Less so than you might think.

And if your theory is correct, you'd never get damp in an upstairs room.

You get less upstairs

If you rely on your meter, possibly.

Oh I can assure you those 'damp meters' can show the presence of water
in apparently perfect 'old' plaster. Certainly did in my case. But it's
still there some 30 years later, looking fine.

Then you don't have a damp problem

The 'meter' and several firms said I did. Don't you read earlier posts?

You mean the original mortar the bricks were laid on? If a wall relied
on this being a perfect seal, they'd all leak. Have you never
dismantled one?

The pointing is what matters.

So we're relying on 1/4" of sand and cement, perched precariously on
(and invariably not bonded to) 100 year old bricks are we?

Yup. Or do you advocate 'treating' every Victorian - and later - brick
wall?

On second thoughts, don't bother answering that one.

Try that on a SW facing wall.

Can't help you there. My house is built near north/south.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.