Phil Addison

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:23:23 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Phil
Addison wrote:
My Victorian house has loads of them under the first floor, but
oddly none on the ground floor joists.

Usually the ground floor joists are 4x2 off sleeper walls so you
don't need them.

That's how mine are done.

BS5268 only requires strutting (at max 6 x the joist depth)

Does that mean if you have 7x2 joists the struts/herringbones are only
needed on pairs of joists 42" apart. i.e. the intermediate joists do
not need strutts? I hope so as only some of my first floor ones are
strutted.

where the joist depth/width is more than 5. If it is 5
or less the only requirement is for the compression edge to be held
in line, which it will be when the flooring is nailed to it.

So all 7x1 joists need it, but no 7x2's require strutting at all? My
upstairs ones are mainly 7x2, though I think I remember some skinny ones
too. Maybe they are the ones strutted.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me