Peter

"richard" wrote in message
"Peter" wrote in message

"richard" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
I've got a split load CU and the oven isn't RCD protected -

there's
no
real reason why it should be.

--
Indeed, it's just asking for trouble, why would you normally have

the
oven or hob on an rcd?

Why would you have anything on the RCD then ?

Peter

The rcd is to protect a person from death by electrocution. Protection
against electrocution from a faulty fixed appliance such as an oven is
by earthing the case of the oven and equipotential bonding in the
surroundings, leading to the operation of the protective device while
keeping fault potentials to earth at a safe level. An Rcd is more
important when feeding socket outlets for portable stuff - more likely
that a person is gripping the equipment in the first place, more
likely that flexes etc will be damaged and more likely to be outside
any equipotential zone.
But I bow to Andrew Gabriel's wisdom on this matter and stand to be
corrected.
Rich

but the oven may be connected to a socket outlet on a flex ? Plus isint it
more likely to get electrocuted in an earthed bonded zone ? The oven may
be within reach of water taps and sink etc which are bonded.

Peter