Chas

"Greyangel" wrote
Ok, gotta ask. Why soft wood?

Weight, ease of manufacture, moisture wicking properties, forgiveness to
softer steel perhaps.

I wouldn't think your average hard wood would
be all that offensive to the blade edge though I suppose some of the stuff
out there could be.

It's used more on shorter blades- probably weight considerations as well.

I did this last one in Black Walnut that was on the
verge on dry rot. Did kind of wonder about problems with some wood oils.
I've heard there can be but not sure which ones.

The Japanese use 'hinoki' wood because of it's neutral chemical and
hydrophilic properties- seems to me it's a softwood, but I may be mistaken.

Chas