Greyangel

"Chas" wrote in message
"Greyangel" wrote
Composite sheathes combine the attributes of the materials soas to
produce
the best sheath possible.

I like the wood 'cause it shapes so much better.

Sure- and remember that you're probably *better off* using a soft, light
wood for your sheathes, as opposed to a heavy exotic, or hardwood.
I collect SEAsian- most of them sheathed in wood, sometimes horn. Often,
they're covered in braided strips of 'bamboo' (who knows what it actually
is), and become a wicker framework construction.
The techniques translate to 'our' kind of usage pretty readily- good

stuff.
Chas

Ok, gotta ask. Why soft wood? I wouldn't think your average hard wood would
be all that offensive to the blade edge though I suppose some of the stuff
out there could be. I did this last one in Black Walnut that was on the
verge on dry rot. Did kind of wonder about problems with some wood oils.
I've heard there can be but not sure which ones.

GA