Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:
Rawlplugs go back to the '20s, AFAIK.
Of course, those were the fibrous ones.

Yup. However, I'm not sure how long it took for them to come into general
use on new builds. I've worked on '30s houses with the 'wedge between
bricks' method.

A long time. The rawlplug may go back to the 20s, but the cordless SDS
drill doesn't :-). Originally the only way to make the 'ole for a
rawlplug was a 'rawldrill' - the sort that you hit repeatedly with a
hammer, and which I remember my dad teaching me to use at quite an early
age. Not many portable electric drills of any kind around in those
days, so 'plugging the wall' in the time-honoured fashion - using a
plugging chisel - remained common practice into, I'd guess, the late 50s
/ mid 60s.

OOI, does anyone know when the TCT tipped masonry drill first appeared?
Was 'Mason Master' - which I remember from the 60s - the first brand?

--
Andy