in2minds

Since you have a cellar, I assume that the house is an older type....
If so, and it doesn't have cavities, or they are not insulated, then
doing some zoning rather than heating the whole house makes a lot of
sense.

1912 terraced miners cottage
2 storey at front, ground floor level with main road
3 storey at back, cellar door level with rear garden
there are no cavities (45cm stone walls) and the cellar is below ground
on 3 sides

heating is via a combi/radiators, looking at the pipe work I couldn't
zone upstairs and downstairs without ripping up the flooring to access
the pipes (not an option).

LJ