Harry Bloomfield

Default Halogen track lights - problem.

Velvet wrote on Monday (09/02/2004) :
Put up two sets of these a couple of years ago. One set is now behaving
oddly. They're both operated from the same switch, but I'm not exactly sure
how they're wired together, I didn't do that bit.

They're 12v systems with a transformer integral to the mounting point on the
ceiling for the track - so not recessed at all. 4x35w halogen lights on the
track, one transformer per track.

Many of these LV units suffer the same problem, high current causing
burnt and poor connections.

As the voltage goes down, the quantity of current has to rise to make
up for it to achieve the same wattage. If all lights are out on a
track, then look at the connections between the "transformer" and the
track. If it unplugs from the track check for signs of burning and
blackening.

Less likely, but still worth checking are the mains connections to the
"transformer".

Failing either of the above, there could be a problem inside the
"transformer".

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)