Peter Scott

"MM" wrote in message
I got one quote, and they worked out the value for buildings insurance
based on post code, number of bedrooms and other points. Then I called
another broker and she said her firm had to be advised the value
required to be insured, as they could not themselves provide any
estimate. I kind of had the feeling from them of, take it or leave it!

As I don't need a mortgage and the building is brand new, how am I
supposed to find out what to insure it for? I believe the buildings
insurance is normally a lot less than the price paid for the property.

MM

There is a book called 'Spons' something or other used by architects and
engineers to calculate these things. Its brilliant for all kinds of
estimating. It allows you to choose the type of construction, age etc.
Google gives the following: Spons Estimating Costs Guide To Minor Wks, Alts
& Repairs 2nd Ed. by Spain, Bryan. I think this is the correct one. Should
be in a reference library.

Peter Scott