patriarch

(JohnD) wrote in
om:

There is not much room for interpretation here. The item in question,
as I stated, is made in Canada. I chose the block plane as an example
to isolate everything but the exchange rate and any remaining
arbitrary cost differential. If anything, it should be more expensive
in the States, since it is made in Canada. Seems unlikely it could
cost less to get to the good to Canada when it is made there. I am
not making a moral statement, nor a political one, just pointing out
the economic reality driving the price difference.

Does the scale and geographic diversity of the market have no effect?
Fixed costs, specific to the country, spread over a smaller sales base?

Recall also, in the US, Lee Valley ONLY has the web/catalog sales model to
support, without bricks and mortar retail.

Patriarch