James T. Kirby

GregP wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:57:44 -0400, "Al Reid"
wrote:

We have an all voluntary, highly trained military. We don't need or want a draft. Since the military supports GWB by a 5 to 1
margin, you could support our troops by voting with our military.

Nevertheless, if Bush is reelected, there will be a draft in
place within a year. Bush, of course, will claim that the
military is responsible for it, not him, and then he will
claim that he never said that he wouldn't allow one. He
has lied about virtually every major decision or action
during his administration, hiding behind others whenever
he could, and he will go on doing it if he gets a chance.

I'm not sure I buy that, Greg - I think it would work against him. Having a
professional army gives
Bush a lot more political flexibility - you can attack anywhere you want and
there won't be hundreds
of thousands of people in the streets screaming "you took my baby to fight in
that stinking place for
your own personal reasons that you won't even admit to!". No, I think that
reinstating a draft would open up
a real can of worms. I think all he really needs to do (or intents to do) is
to keep some sort of hopefully
constrainable military adventurism going somewhere, so that the people who are
susceptible to the
thought that voting against a leader during time of war is somehow disloyal, or
(my favorite from Al Reid )
we should somehow buy into the notion that we should vote for Bush because the
troops like him (moron)
will vote the right way.

Jim Kirby

--