Jeff Wisnia

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
...snipped...

If things are tweaked right, you can find starting water temperatures
and an air temperature which will result in the water remaining in the
"hot" bucket freezing first.

...snipped...

That sounds pretty cool. Can you give a specific example
(temperatures, quantities, etc.) where this will happen?

I got the pun..A good one too...

************************************

There's no simple answer to your question because there are LOTS of
factors which must be considered, IIRC they all contribute to the
"Mpemba effect" which ex[lains why hot water freeze faster than cold.

I'm just a flatfooted EE who forgot most of the physics I learned years
ago, but Googling "hot water freezes faster than cold" will get you a
day's worth of reading on the subject.

This URL I particularly like 'cause it's part of the "Marilyn is Wrong"
series. (Marilyn vos Savant, that is.) It has a lot of links to other
sites on the subject:

http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/freezing.html

This URL will give you more than you wanted to know and choke you with
details and references:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

Hey, I just noticed the /baez/ in that URL. A few backwards steps will
reveal that it's John Baez, a physicist at University of California,
Riverside, who is a relative of Joan Baez, the entertainer. I had the
pleasure of knowing Joan briefly in the 1950s around the time she began
her career by singing in Harvard Square coffee houses. Her father was a
physicist at Harvahd back then.

Enough already?

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)