Greyangel

"Chas" wrote in message
"Greyangel" wrote
Ha! I suppose so! I just did a wooden sheath for a knife and liked it

so
much I'll probably do a lot more in the future. Still used a bit of
leather
to finish it out though.

Sure is the step up-
A lot of the reason I work multi-media is that one can't make any material
do all things. I come out of that weird 50's Cowboy Chic era; silver
mounted, hand-carved, full raised, puffed and padded, double fitted-
yaddayadda. You have to work a little wood (or a lot), some leather, some
silver; maybe some lapidary,......
The best 'utilitarian' sheathes are probably in wood; leather is a
compromise. The surface of wood is vulnerable, and if it splits, your

sheath
falls apart- so you cover it with leather. The edges of wood/leather are
vulnerable, as are 'wear points', so you cover them with metal.
Composite sheathes combine the attributes of the materials soas to produce
the best sheath possible.
Then you can cover the whole thing with pictures......
Chas

Amen Brother Chas!
I like the wood 'cause it shapes so much better. But then I'll probably
never do anything in wood as nice as you've done in leather ;-) Hadn't
really thought how to go about doing the metal caps and stuff. Have to work
on that...

GA