John Smith

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
As part of an electrical upgrade, we are considering installing
ethernet connections in several rooms.

Couple of questions on best practices:
1. What type of cable should we be using? Is Cat 6 the best
choice for now given that Cat 7 uses different connectors and has
only just been ratified? How much more does Cat 6 cost than Cat 5/5e
and is it worth the cost differential?

I wired my house with cat 6 last year. $128/1000 ft. Cat 5e was
from around $50 to $100. Go online and search for the current price.

Monster cable seems to have good reputation though I never use it.

The price difference on jacks is less than $1 each.

The books I read said to be at least 12" apart from power cables
if run parallel. If they cross, make sure they cross at right angle.