Phil Addison

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:41:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I sort of assumed it was done to allow easy access for pipes etc. And
maybe even timber costs. The Victorians seemed paranoid about this.
But can it be stronger than just a lump of the same size as the joists
nailed between them? This is what they used on my new work - under the
eagle eye of both a BS and architect.

Of course noggins work IF they are cut exactly to size.

Not exactly difficult?

But herringbones get nailed in and because on the slant, end up jammed
in between.

Well, that might stop a twist in one direction...

They are fitted in pairs making an X shape between the joists.

My Victorian house has loads of them under the first floor, but oddly
none on the ground floor joists.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me