G&M

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
k...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The only common
constantly variable drives( other than electric/electronic) are the twin
pulley ones as pioneered in cars by DAF IIRC and now used in some stand
drills. In cars I understand that these latter have an unequalled
reputation for unreliability. I believe the Japanese may now have
engineered a viable unit, but it's not on my acceptable list for a few
years yet.

CVTs. And they do seem to be unreliable.

But someone brings one out every few years.

Williams built an F1 car using one in late 80s but it was banned before
being used. If they had been allowed to race I bet the technology would be
well developed now.