WEBPA

WD40 is a wax disssolved in a mixture of solvents. It will eventually
dissolved the resistive material inside many pots...thus permanently
destroying
the part.

This has always been a unsubstantiated rumor in my opinion, others can
disagree, mostly people that have never even used WD40, just read about the
problems and relaying the rumors that have little fact.
I'll tell my experience. Way back in 1978 when I started in the business we
used WD40, never ever hurt a thing, then used commercial tunerwash, never
hurt
a thing, then when CFCs were taken out of tunerwash it was suddenly very
risky
to use because it would desolve certain plastics ruining parts. We went back
WD40 which I still use today although rarely do pots come into the picture
with
newer equipment.
So in summary, I've cleaned many thousand pots and tuners with WD40 and I'd
recommend it.

I've cleaned dozens of pots, switches, and tuners (consumer parts and aerospace
parts) with WD40 (20 years ago). Stopped instantly when some of the parts
began disintegrating, and others failed due to the goo (wax) left behind after
the solvents evaporated.

I also used to use WD40 to lubricate automotive parts...such as door hinges and
latch/lock (not cylinders) mechanisms. Again, after a period of time, the goo
build-up became horrendous, and the goo seems to be the world's most perfect
dust/dirt attractor. After my truck's door latch mechanisms became virtually
immobile, I removed them, soaked in kerosene, washed in soap and water, and
then air-dried. This was almost 10 years ago. The doors feel and sound like
new. I've done this with several vehicles mistakenly "lubricated" with WD40
since, with the same results.

If you haven't had similar results with WD40, then you have been very lucky.
webpa