Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

My Dysons are both non-HEPA and have the washable pre-motor filter and
a non-washable (I think, never needed to wash it) post-motor filter. I
thought the HEPA filter was an extra non-washable one in addition to
these?

Just found my DC07 is HEPA. Like you, I didn't want that but it
was on offer at over £100 off, which made it much cheaper than the
non-HEPA version. Had forgotten about that.

I think the HEPA filter is fitted in place of your pre-motor filter, at
the top behind the dust canister. It's a big round yellow plastic ring
with the filter element bonded into the base and a big fat disk of blue
foam sitting inside the ring on top of the filter. We weren't

Well, you're describing my non-HEPA filter perfectly ;-)

particularly bothered about getting the HEPA version but it was on offer
at a lower price than the non-HEPA one which had fewer attachments so we
went for it.

And no, there's no dust build-up or even slight discolouration of the
post-motor filters after 4 years of sucking up rubble, brickdust and
plasterdust in the case of the older one (or the newer one come to that).

I assume the post-motor filter is in the base below the canister.

Yes.

There's what looks like a spring clip holding a cover there but it
doesn't seem very keen to open so I leave it alone. There's no dust

Same on my DC07. However, curiosity just got the better of me, and
I levered the cover off. This reveals it is the post-motor filter
which is the HEPA filter on my DC07 -- it says so all over it;-)
It is stained darker on the filter surface where the main airflow
goes into it. This stain comes off on fingers, and I suspect
it is material worn off the motor brushes -- looks like that.
There are three filter components inside the HEPA filter, and the
middle and outlet ones are still bright white. In my DC04
(definately non-HEPA), the post motor filter is much simpler.

--
Andrew Gabriel