Jim (remove $ ) wrote:

wood screws can handle. Can anyone give me some typical figures or
point me at a web site that has them? I would emphasise that I'm
after the torque figure, i.e. the amount of twist needed to break
them. I realise this doesn't directly relate to the strength of the
screw holding things together which would simply be given by the
tensile stregth of the screw.

I'd prefer the figures for metric screws (i.e. diameters in mm) and in
Nm but I'm quite happy to convert if necessary. The actual screws I'm
using are ScrewFix TurboGold and the stainless steel versions of the
same. I would guess however that most good quality screws are going
to be similar, I'm not after accurate figures, just an idea of what
is likely to break them.

Get a torque wrench and "break" a few. You will soon get what you want
easier than asking such a rediculous question,

Well I may need to do that ultimately, I do have a torque wrench and
it would be easy enough to try it with one of the hex head coach
screws. However I would have thought that at least some of the better
screw manufacturers would publish such figures.

--
Chris Green