N. Thornton

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote in message ...
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

Having dealt with half a dozen similar problems over the years, I would
say the simple solution is to use a pva modified mortar to bond
Aquapanels to the inside brickwork.

Is this on your own property, or being paid to do it for others?

The latter, although on the understanding at the time that it was
"experimental". I didn't see why you couldn't use resin bonded cement boards
(Aquapanel) as a kind of waterproof plasterboard, and they appear to have
worked 5+ years down the line. I think similar materials are probably used
to clad the exterior of modern office buildings.

If the outside is being painted, use a solvent based pliolite masonry
paint, which is genuinely water resistant but still gives a matt finish.

Why would you paint bricks?

Either because they were previously painted, or rendered. If not, I'd
re-point to 1" depth and hope the bricks themselves weren't too porous. IME
the mortar is always the weak link.

As to walls breathing, lime mortar, and other mud hut technology, I'd say
that nothing stops the passage of air through mortar.

If you mean lime mortar, that's the reason for using it. If you mean
mortar in general, surely waterproof ones are available?

But they still allow air through, together with any moisture it may be
carrying. Only a plastic membrane makes things genuinely waterproof.

Okay, walls have to
breathe, but you need to stop them drinking.

Perhaps it didn't rain 100 years ago?

Dampness was accepted, along with a lot of other inconveniences that we
don't put up with today.
I accept that lime mortar is still doing its job in many ancient buildings.
What I dispute is that it was ever a good material for bricklaying.

I'm sorry to say you show complete failure to understand how damp
control worked in 1800s buildings. Vic buildings rarely need dpcs,
injections, tanking etc to make them fnuction healthily again. The
vast majority of the damp problems with Vic houses are due to
1. attempting to treat them like more modern types of construction,
when they approach damp control in a completely different way, and
2. failure to maintain satisfactorily.

Tanking the walls with aquapanel and painting the exterior are about
the last things that will help a Vic house with damp. They are known
_causes_ of damp in Vic houses. I'm sure you mean well, but Vic houses
do not work like modern buildings at all when it comes to damp.

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...sing/forum2.pl

NT